Saturday, January 9, 2010

New and Old


I was cleaning off the desk today and came across my old compass. I got to playing with it, and started thinking just how far civilian navigation has come in a short period of time. The military had been using GPS navigation since the 80's, but it was really opened up for civilian use in 2000 when the selective availability was ended. Civilians were able to use the system before 2000, but accuracy wasn't as good as it is today. It would get you in the stadium, but now it can find your seat. I'll keep that ol' compass around until the batteries die because the ones in the GPSr don't seem to last as long. I've never had to change them yet!

1 comment:

Erika Jean said...

We sure have come a long way! I honestly couldn't stay I'd be able to navigate home with a compass :-/